Friday, June 17, 2011

Well, here it is. The inaugural post in my little blog. Comfort food. What is it about the food that we grew up eating as kids?

Tonight I had something that almost every Aussie kid, and I would imagine English kids too, would have had numerous times during the year. 

Bacon, eggs and baked beans on toast. When I say baked beans, I don't mean the one's you typically get in the supermarket here, with the barbecue sauce flavour. I'm talking about the true blue baked beans with tomato sauce. You can buy them in certain supermarkets, mainly where they have an International section, or I think I saw them at Trader Joe's and Whole Foods a week ago. They also stock them in World Market.

This is what you should be looking for.


Too easy to make. Whack the beans in a pot and warm over a low/medium heat until bubbling, stir them every now and then so they don't stick, then turn them off and put the lid on the pot. Cook you bacon...thick sliced American bacon is easy, you microwave it. Paper plate, 2 pieces of paper towel, bacon then another piece of paper towel. Bung it in the microwave for 3 1/2 minutes and it's done. Cook the eggs to your liking and while your at it, toast the bread. If you're lucky enough to make your own bread (I do...post tomorrow all about it) cut it thick (is there any other kind for toast?). Throw on the bacon, then the beans and lastly the egg. Season to your taste. I like mine with Sriracha sauce and ketchup. Dig in.

So this is what I had.


It was delicious. 

Not much for a first post, but it's still good tasting all the same.

Matt

2 comments:

  1. Yumm!

    I love a good aussie pub breakfast. All it is missing is some fried thin snags!

    Gazza

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw Matt, you're killing me! Beans!! ohhh yeah!!

    ReplyDelete