Sunday, July 15, 2012

Curry not in a hurry...

A few weeks ago, Chanin and Connor went to Ocean City, Maryland for a week, so I cooked something that I like but they don't because of it's heat. I made myself a batch of Pork Vindaloo. You can actually make this as hot or not as you like with chillies...my saying is, if you're not sweating, you're not eating, so I made this the way I like it.

Ingredients:

Vindaloo Paste:

2tbsp fresh grated ginger
4 cloves garlic, chopped
3 red chillies, chopped or more for your entertainment
2 tsp ground turmeric
2 tsp ground cardamom
4 whole cloves
6 peppercorns
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp ground coriander
1 tbsp cumin seeds
1/2 cup lemon juice

2lbs (1kg) pork fillets
1/4 cup oil (I use vegetable)
2 tsp brown mustard seeds
2 1/2 cups water (I used this amount and it was too much, I'd suggest starting with 1-1 1/2 cups and add more if necessary)

Method:

To make the Vindaloo paste place the ginger, garlic, chilli, turmeric, cardamom, cloves, peppercorns, cinnamon, coriander, cumin seeds and lemon juice in a food processor. Process for 20 seconds or until all the ingredients are combined and the mixture is smooth.


Trim the pork of any excess fat and cut into cubes.


Heat oil in a heavy based pot (I used my cast iron pot); add the meat in small batches and cook quickly over a medium heat until browned.


Return all the meat to the pot, add the Vindaloo paste and mustard seeds, and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.


Add the water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for about 1 1/2 hours or until meat is tender. (As you can see, I had too much water, as this is meant to be a slight dry dish)


Serve with basmati  rice and pappadums.





I used pappadums that Mum brought over for me that you can microwave for 1 minute. I have since found quite a good Indian store that sells different types of pappadums as well as the Brinjal (eggplant relish) which I love.

You can substitute the pork for beef if you prefer, I'd suggest using round steak (beef round or eye of round, depending where you live).


Enjoy,


Matt





No comments:

Post a Comment